Important news, the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Documentation Library Update for March 2012 !!!
What's New in the Documentation Library for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager, March 2012
The following information lists the topics that contain significant changes since the February 2012 update.
- Updated to include a link to the Release Notes for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
Introduction to Configuration Manager
- Updated with a new section for Example Scenarios for Configuration Manager
that walk you through how you might use Configuration Manager to
empower users by ensuring access to applications from any device, unify
compliance management for devices, and simplify client management for
Supported Configurations for Configuration Manager
- Updated for the following updates and clarifications:
- A single label domain is supported with limitations
- Network Address Translation is supported only for Internet-based clients
- The number of clients that are supported at secondary sites is increased to 5,000
- Scale guidance for software update points and limits when you use them for Network Load Balancing clusters
- SQL Server versions, including the recently cumulative update versions
- Manual configurations that might be required when you use a Windows Server 2003 computer as a distribution point
- Clarification that the Exchange Server connector supports Office 356 in addition to BPOS
Planning for Communications Across Forests in Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarify how clients across forests and clients in workgroups are supported by Configuration Manager.
Technical Reference for the Prerequisite Checker in Configuration Manager
- New topic that provides technical details about available
prerequisite checks that Setup runs or that you can run separately to
check for security rights, Configuration Manager dependencies, and
Install Sites and Create a Hierarchy for Configuration Manager
- Updated for the required permissions when you install a primary or secondary site.
Install and Configure Site System Roles for Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarify why throttling settings for the fallback status
point do not apply only when it is configured for client connections on
Configure Database Replicas for Management Points
- Updated for corrections to the script in the Configure a Self-Signed Certificate for the Database Replica Server section.
Planning for Content Deployment During Migration to System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarify when a Configuration Manager 2007 distribution
point on a secondary site server is eligible for upgrade to System
Center 2012 Configuration Manager.
How to Assign Clients to a Site in Configuration Manager
- Updated to incorporate mobile device clients, roaming, and how to verify site assignment.
Best Practices for Client Deployment
- New topic with some client deployment best practice recommendations for client computers.
How to Install Clients on Mobile Devices and Enroll Them by Using Configuration Manager
- Updated to add the client settings that relate to the polling schedule and hardware inventory.
About Client Installation Properties in Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarify the /noservice and /mp properties.
How to Deploy Applications in Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarify that the option Require administrator approval if users request this application is unavailable when the application is deployed to a device collection. Also clarified the option Deploy automatically according to schedule whether or not a user is logged on.
Prerequisites for Application Management in Configuration Manager
- Updated with the new external dependency that if you deploy
.SIS/.SISX files to a Nokia Symbian Belle mobile device that is enrolled
by Configuration Manager, you must use a file format that conforms to
the OS v9.x SIS file format specification.
Example Scenario for Application Management in Configuration Manager
- New topic that provides an example walkthrough of how you might
create, deploy, and manage applications by using Configuration Manager.
Introduction to Hardware Inventory in Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarify and add information about using MIF files to
extend hardware inventory. These topics include additional information:
Introduction to Compliance Settings in Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarify that although you cannot create general
configuration items in the Configuration Manager console, mobile device
configuration items are automatically configured with this configuration
How to Create Windows Configuration Items in Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarify that SQL Query settings cannot use SQL commands that modify the database.
How to Import Configuration Data in Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarify the behavior of the option Create a new copy of the imported configuration baselines and configuration items.
Example Scenario for Compliance Settings in Configuration Manager
- New topic that provides an example walkthrough of how you might use
compliance settings to automatically remediate a registry key setting
that prevents an application from running.
How to Configure Endpoint Protection in Configuration Manager
- Updated with additional information about how to create automatic
deployment rules and the antimalware products that Endpoint Protection
Frequently Asked Questions for Configuration Manager
- Updated with new entries that include the following:
- Can I upgrade a prerelease version of System Center 2012 Configuration Manager to the released version?
- Can I upgrade an evaluation version of System Center 2012 Configuration Manager?
- Can I manage SMS 2003 clients with System Center 2012 Configuration
Manager, or migrate SMS 2003 sites and clients to System Center 2012
- Can I use security scopes to restrict which distribution points are
shown in the Distribution Status node in the Monitoring workspace?
- When distribution points are enabled for bandwidth control, does the
site server compress the content that it distributes to them in the
same way as site-to-site data is compressed?
- How often are application deployments summarized?
- How does the processing of requirements differ between a deployment
with the action of Install and a deployment with the action of
- What happens if a simulated deployment and a standard deployment for the same application are deployed to a computer?
- When you view the status of an application deployment in the
Deployments node of the Monitoring workspace, how is the Compliance %
- Can I deploy operating systems to computers that are not managed by Configuration Manager?
- When I deploy an operating system to multiple computers, can I
optimize how the operating system image is sent to the destination